Arab Educational Institute
(AEI - Open Windows)
Bethlehem - Palestina
What can you do?
There are several possible ways to support the AEI-Open Windows or to become engaged in its activities.
- Help finding sponsors. Every financial contribution, large or small, is very much appreciated. Especially if it is to support the Youth House.
Activities that you can support are music- and sport-facilities, the organisation of excursions and the expansion of the computer room. You help the youth in Bethlehem to breathe, either by direct support of the AEI or via the 'Friends of Young Bethlehem' foundation.
- Organise a tour to Bethlehem and Palestine. AEI has good experience in organising 7-10 day tours for groups of 5 to 30 persons, interested in meeting the Palestine society at close hand. The program will be adapted to what is desired and can have a cultural, spiritual or political character. For information get into contact with the
- Consider our publications and films. In several publications and some videos the AEI attracts attention to the Palestine culture and sumud (steadfastness, persistence). The series, mainly in English, helps foreigners and visitors to understand the Palestine reality and culture. This is done with an inter-religious and peace oriented perspective. See the list of publications on the website www.aeicenter.org under the menu item 'AEI products'. There you will also find two videos about the impact of the wall on the life in Palestine. The latest publication is "Challenging the Wall: Towards a pedagogy of Hope".
- Join the yearly summer-school program. Each year AEI organises a 14 day summer program during the months June and July. This program is open to foreigners,who wish to put their skills at the disposal of Palestine youth and women. Many sessions are in English. In the summer it is also possible to take part individually in a research program where Palestinians can be interviewed to let them tell their stories in order to publish these stories in accessible ways such as on the internet.
- Help with creating an exchange. The Palestine youth is interested in communicating with foreign youth at secondary schools, vocational colleges and universities. They wish to share their stories and photos in English via computer exchanges or via shared workshops about peace oriented or inter-cultural themes. The women's group is interested in exchanges with foreign women's groups. To us "Bethlehem" is an inspiring symbol representing hope and justice.
- Come visit as a volunteer " and find out about Palestine. The AEI is interested in volunteers , especially those with skills in inter-cultural communication, photography, journalism and media, management, computers, sport- or music-coaching.
- Join in with the Christmas prayer action: Every year AEI, together with other local Palestinian and international partners like Pax Chisti International, brings out a call to send e-mails to Bethlehem with a Christmas greeting or prayer directed to the people here. Throughout the years thousands have been received. They make the inhabitants of Bethlehem and environs aware that they are morally supported by people from all over the world.
- Surprise a friend, order a Christmas box from Bethlehem. For an order of at least ten boxes, the AEI can assist in putting together a non-traditional parcel from Bethlehem that is specifically adapted to your requirements. It may contain handmade products, a storybook , a cookbook, sacks with Palestine herbs or even a letter from Palestine pupils. Designing a Christmas box can be a pleasant, educational and spiritual activity.
- Introduce Palestine-Family.net in your educational or cultural activities. This website that is co-managed by AEI is made for the worldwide Palestinian community and contains a lot of cultural and historic information about Palestine. Palestine-Family.net has stories about Palestine, historical and contemporary photographs, family trees, oral histories, recipes, habits, legends and myths, and much more.